The world of social can undergo drastic changes in just a matter of weeks or months, it is important to constantly stay on top of where your audience is and what you can do to connect with them.
For business owners looking to win more on social, here are 10 social media statistics that can help you identify the best platforms and provide better clarity to channel resources like time, efforts, and money.
- There are now 4.20 billion social media users around the world. This figure has grown by 490 million over the past 12 months, delivering year-on-year growth of more than 13 percent. The number of social media users is now equivalent to more than 53 percent of the world’s total population. (Digital 2021 Global Overview Report)
- The average amount of time internet users aged 16-64 spend on social media is 2 hours, 25 mins. (GlobalWebIndex)
- The world’s social media users will spend a total of 3.7 trillion hours on social media in 2021 – this is equivalent to more than 420 million years of combined human existence.
- The latest data from GSMA Intelligence shows that two-thirds of the world’s total population uses a mobile phone today – a typical global internet user now spends 3 hours and 39 minutes each day using the internet on their mobile phone.
- 98.55% of people use at least four social media channels daily (GoodFirms)
- According to a Hootsuite study, 90% of brands want to build brand awareness through social media. 77% of them use it to maintain brand reputation, while 71% of them use it for building and managing an engaged community. 61% use it to increase conversions and 50% of them use it to gain customer or market insights.
- B2B organizations prefer LinkedIn (86%) and B2C companies choose to use Facebook (98%) for social media marketing. (Hootsuite)
- Videos are the #1 branded content used by marketers. Nearly 93% of marketers say that they’ve landed a customer thanks to videos on social media. Additionally, 63% of them say that it generates the best ROI on social media too. (Animoto)
- Facebook has over 2.74 billion monthly active users and more than 140 million businesses. (Facebook)
- 79.9% of Facebook users only access the platform on a mobile device.
The figures above show that the use of social media for businesses is constantly on the rise and that more people are using mobile phones to access social media platforms online.
As a business owner in 2021, your goal should be to learn how to communicate better across different social media platforms and to optimize your content for mobile users.